Please could you tell me where the fuel sender unit is on a Ford Sapphire 3L?

Asked by ear Mar 26, 2014 at 09:36 AM

Question type: Maintenance & repair

The fuel gauge is playing up, and I believe it is the Fuel sender unit, but cant seem to find it. Does the tank have to come out, to obtain access to the sender unit,
Many thanks
Kind regards

2 Answers

Yes, the fuel sending unit is in the gas tank. It will require dropping the tank to gain access.


This sounds like a South African Assembled car as these came out with the locally built Essex engines. Some of these cars came out with the "Plastic" Tank that used to collapse. They were replace with the metal tanks as a running change when ever they were in for service. When the fuel was running towards empty the gauge would show about quarter tank left . With some of these, one of the causes for this was the lack of good fuel tank ventilation. On removing the fuel filler cap, there would be a sucking noise from the filler area. Yes , its best to remove the petrol tank , to replace the sender unit.

2 people found this helpful.

Your answer:

CarGurus experts

  • #1
  • #2
  • #3
View all

Find great deals from top-rated dealers


Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use. Content will be removed if CarGurus becomes aware that it violates our policies.